Tom has been REALLY enjoying his (4) keg homebrew set up. It seems we always have (4) different beers on tap. (3) carbonated through standard CO2, and the 4th carbonated through a nitrogen tap (think creamy guiness from an Irish Pub). I am not really sure what private residence needs to have 20 gallons of beer on tap at any given time, plus about 30 different bottled beers in the refrigerator, especially given the fact that there is only one member of the household over 21 that actually enjoys beer.
Through all of this, Tom has brewed several different styles of beers, and occasionally bottles up a few "yeast samples" to send off to homebrew competitions. I guess this is the homebrewing communitie's way of getting around shipping alcohol through the mail or UPS. If you label it a "yeast sample" I guess it technically isn't beer. Whatever. Still gets you drunk. Last time I checked, my sourdough starter (also technically a yeast sample) doesn't get you drunk.
This year, Tom entered (5) different beers to the Colorado State Fair Homebrew Competition. The judging the of beers occurred last Friday, and we have patiently been awaiting the results. By patiently, I mean checking the CSF homepage for updated results postings 4 times a day. Until finally, Monday afternoon the results were posted, and fortunately, I was able to find them first. Only because I like holding information like this over his head, and taunting him with the fact that I know something he doesn't.
The results were in... and we didn't fair too badly!
Tom's Dubbell Wide Ale (Belgian Dubbell Category) took 2nd!
Tom's Christmas Ale '08 (Christmas Winter Specialty Spiced Beer Category) took 2nd!
Keedran's This Ain't Your Mama's Apple Cider (Standard Cider and Perry Category) took 1st!
That's right folks! My cider beat out Tom's beers. So I won the gold, and all Tom got was 2 lousy silver medals. I joke. Yes, the Cider was my idea, and I did help make it, develop the recipe, etc. However, Tom helped too, so I would say it is as much his as it is mine. Except the recipe. That is mine. So as of right now, we have won more medals then some small countries do at the Olympics! Yea us!
Tom and I have decided that everytime we go to the Brew Hut (where he gets his supplies) we are going to wear our medals, just because we can. I guess there is a guy that works there that has never won any competitions with his homebrews, and Tom has now had (4) separate beers place in different competitions around the US.
As far as the other (2) beers go, we don't know how they faired yet. We haven't seen the score sheets to determine if they were well liked, but there were just other beers that were better, or if they sucked ass and we should stop serving them to our friends. All that was posted was the results for the top (3) finishers in each category, as well as the number of submittals in each category. We should get the score sheets in a couple of weeks when we recieve our medals. I will update this post with a picture of us wearing our medals and the results of the score sheets.
No comments:
Post a Comment