18 June 2011

Hummingbird Nest

About 4 weeks ago, Tom and I noticed that a hummingbird was building a nest on the wind chime on our front patio.  This was the coolest process to watch, but we didn't agree with the location.  Why would you pick on top of the wind chime?

A couple of weeks later, the mama hummingbird was at the nest full time.  She was only leaving to get food and coming right back.  We assummed she had eggs in her nest, but didn't really have a chance to see them.

The other night, we had a massive wind storm.  The wind chime was blowing all over the place, and I was afraid that the whole thing was going to fall.  So I asked Tom to pull the whole wind chime down during the wind storm, and then we would hang it back up later.  Once we got it down, mama left the nest, and we were able to see (2) little white eggs about the size of jelly bellys.  Mama bird was freaking out, so we hung up the nest again right away, wind and all.

Based on our research, the eggs should hatch within a couple of days.  We are excited to see the little hummers, and if I get a chance to get a picture of them, I will.


For now, here are a couple of pictures of the nest with mama bird....


No comments: