21 March 2011

Tom's Turn!

It's hard to look back at the last 4 months and try and decide what did you do?  What was relavent, what was just "life"?  So I will try and hit the high notes for Tom.

A new position opened up at Raytheon, which Tom considered his "dream job".  So we talked about it, and said go for it.  With any large company like Raytheon, they have to interview a minimum number of people before making a decision.  So Tom went through the application process and the interview process and then we waited.  Waited for what seemed like a long time, but really was only a couple of weeks.  They finally announced that he would be hired for the new position.  From what I understand, the new position is not related to any specific project or team (as he has been in the past) but will be working with Raytheon to pursue future work opportunities.  Tom will provide the Systems Engineering background (technical mumbo jumbo) to support proposal developments.  An interesting position, from what I have heard about it so far. 

Tom still continues to homebrew.  He recently decided to brew a lager at home, his first.  I won't bore those of you with the differences between lagers and ales, but just realize that there are differences, and that is why he hasn't done one before.  It's not ready yet, I think he still has a couple more weeks before he can test it out.  He is super excited about it, and has even been brainstorming ways to make the process of brewing a lager easier at home since we don't have all of the proper equipment.

So his next task is to build some sort of cooling box with computer fans, and other parts that he saw in a magazine.  Since I have an AWESOME IT guy at work, he is providing a lot of the parts for Tom's box to me for free.  Ever wonder what happens to your old computers from work?  Where they go?  What happens to them?  They go to your IT guy's garage.  Where he parts them out to his friends. 

Last fall, we had a bit of excitement in the yard, when we noticed that there were massive piles of dirt everywhere and deep holes.  After a lot of research, we found out that we had some sort of vermin in the yard that for whatever reason I can't remember what it is now...but in true Caddyshack style, Tom took care of it.  He tried lost of methods (none were very humane) including smoke bombs, crackle balls, flooding, poison, shooting it, and finally a TRAP and caught it.  This little creature was removing about 5 gallons of dirt from under the grass a week, until it was caught.  I can't wait for spring to come so I can find all of the sink holes in the yard.

For Tom, that is about all that has been going on with him the past 4 months, which is ok.  I know you guys only read to find out about the girls anyway.

No comments: