"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" is probably the most famous phrase of the Declaration of Indpendence. I truly believe that if you really think about it, this little phrase means something different to everyone. I am quite partial to this phrase, maybe its because I had to write at least 3 papers on it during my schooling, or maybe its because I feel that this is a great way for a person to live their life. To me, life is about choice.
You make choices, and these choices, affect your life. I am not a big fan of people that feel that the world has wronged them, and they are stuck in this pattern of always being a victim. I don't believe in that. I think that (for the most part) you make the choices that shape your life. Now, don't get me wrong, there are some situations, where you can't help what just happened to you. Those are the times when I would say, "Man, I am so sorry - that totally bites!" Even though you weren't able to control the situation or event that just happened, you can control your reaction. Which in turn would control the outcome of the situation. If you mope around acting depressed and that the world has wronged you, the outcome will feel like the world has actually wronged you in some way. My advice? Suck it up, turn it around, and move on.
There is another side to all of this. I guess it can be classified as too many choices, and that is where the Declaration comes in. Another pet peeve of mine is the person who feels like the choices they make in their life is the only "right" choice, and they think everyone should live their lives the same way. I follow several different blogs during the week. They range from friend's blogs, food blogs, craft blogs, and blogs of people that I have never met, but somehow I managed to get hooked on what they had to say. Recently on one particular blog I read, the writer (I am not sure if this is intentional or not) comes across as a victim in several of her postings. In addition, her posting for today involved fast food, how terrible it is for you, and how NO ONE should eat it. That's great. Don't eat it. Now, for those of us who are partial to a little fast food, why should I stop eating it just because you don't like it? If my Pursuit to Happiness is eating a Taco Bell bean burrito at 3 in the morning then I should be able to. Me eating the bean burrito does not affect your life. It does not cause your cholesterol to go up, it does not clean out your colon from the 2 cups of fiber I just ate. No, it is mine and mine alone (ok maybe Tom should have a say in it :) ) and if it makes me happy and does not affect you - stay out of it.
I am a real believer in the Pursuit of Happiness. I really think that every person that lives on this earth should have the ability to do what makes them happpy EXCEPT if in your journey to the ultimate Pursuit of Happiness, you affect anyone else's journey. I know, that is a big EXCEPT. I think it's important to be there, because if what makes you happy is blowing up buildings or airplanes or whatever, you have just affected the journey of all of the people inside of that building or airplane. Which, in my opinion, is not ok.
I know, I have the choice to read this person's blog or not, and I am working on that decision as we speak. I guess I just don't get why people feel that we all have to live our lives the same, think the same, and be the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment