10 November 2008

Ellie's Two Year Update

Ellie turned two at the beginning of October. It really is unbelievable how fast time goes when you have a two year old. She is constantly amazing us with the things that she knows and does. We took Ellie in for all of her 2 year appointments within the past couple of weeks. Here is an update of everything.

The first appointment was her very first dentist visit. This went surprisingly well. We chose a pediatric dentist in Parker that specifically caters towards kids. The entire office is decorated and catered towards kids. There is a video game station in the lobby, tv's playing movies, etc. Ellie did well. The dentist said that her teeth were in great condition, and that all (4) of her two-year molars were in the process of breaking the skin. My theory on this is that I would rather go through this once then four separate occassions. I am sure that Ellie's opinion on this differs.

This past Friday we took Ellie in for her two year check up. Everything looked great, and she was in the 50% for height and 30% for weight. I guess at age two they stop measuring their heads - but hers is still huge. Developmentally, she is hitting all of the major mile stones ahead of schedule, and is doing quite well. We were a little concerned about taking her on Friday because she wasn't feeling well and had a fever, but kept the appointment. At that appointment we realized that not only had the (4) two year molars come thru the skin but the (2) eye teeth on the bottom had as well. No wonder she felt like crap. Six teeth in less than week. She seems to be on the mend now, but still not quite up to her usual self.

It seems that everyday Ellie is learning something new, tries something new, and just truly blows us away with what she can do. She has learned to sing 2 songs all the way through, and knows several others that she sings along to with help. Tom and I are getting a little tired of singing "Happy Birthday" to everything and everyone, but she loves to sing that song.

Another milestone that we recently accomplished was the elimination of the pacifier. We decided that it was time to take it away, and that it would be easier to do it now then when she was 3 or 4. So a couple of weeks ago, Tom scoured the house and found (what we thought was) all the pacifiers and put them away. We stopped giving them to her cold turkey. She wasn't using one at school, so we thought it shouldn't be too bad. She asked for them for a couple of days, but we just told her that they went bye-bye. She seemed ok with that answer. Then one night last week, I looked up, and she had one in her mouth. She had pulled it out of a random drawer in the kitchen. So that night I went through all of the drawers and found (3) more pacifiers. I thought we had found them all. Then the next morning, she had one in her mouth when she woke up. It had gotten wedged in the crib. So that night I ripped apart her bed, and found (1) more. I thought we were good to go, then Saturday I was playing with Ellie in her kitchen, and found (2) more pacifiers that she had stashed in the microwave. I swear, it was like she had stashed them around the house so she could go get a "fix" every once in awhile. I am proud to say that I THINK we have them all picked up, and that she is no longer asking for them. We tried to give her one the other day because her mouth hurt so bad, but she didn't want it. I think that we have successfully taken away the pacifiers. YEA!!!!

I just wanted to give you the update. We hope that you are all doing well!




No comments: